November 6, 2007

untouchable by reason..

I am probably the typical guy. I am logical. I think that if I don't understand something that I can eventually figure it out one way or another. I love it when someone asks me to help them put something together. I love it when something says "assembly required." Just like any guy, I take pride being able to tackle a tough project or help a friend sort through an emotional mess.

I always wonder how I am always to help people through their conflicts in life, and how I still can't conquer my own.

Logic has it's place in this world among higher level educational institutions, the corporate world, and in scientific communities and many other places. I have actually been educated at a university and I have grown immensely in the understanding of the culture, and the physical world around me.

I can have talk for hours about what I have learned in my years at a higher level institution, and I can give some great advice about life in general, but there is not a cell in my body that can comprehend the grace of Jesus.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that we are fallen and that Christ has redeemed us, but I do not understand the love that Jesus has for me.

Grace.

No matter how much I've sinned. Grace. No matter how much I've let my pride get in the way of loving others. Grace. No matter how many times I've decided to create my own path and go my own way. Grace. No matter how many times I have looked Jesus in the face and said "no thanks."

I've been to church as much as much as the next church-goer. I've listened to as many podcasted sermons as the next guy. I've sinned as much as the next man. But Jesus' grace has left me dumbfounded.

That's the way He created it. The moment we completely understand our sinfulness is the moment we completely understand grace. And the fact is, I think I'm a pretty good ol boy.

I'm going to assume that I haven't answered any longing questions on your heart, but let me leave you with this.


Jesus is not understood by the mind, but only sensed by the heart. It is not by reason and logic that we find Him, but only in humility can the riches of His grace be felt.




No comments: